DWI Lawyer In San Angelo & Abilene, TX
Facing Drunk Driving Charges in Texas? Our Attorneys Help.
Thousands of drunk driving tickets are given out every year in Texas. Most of the time, people feel like they have no option but to submit to the opinion of the arresting officer and put themselves at the mercy of the court. This is simply not true. But you must act quickly. It is key to retain an experienced DWI attorney as soon as possible. Our Abilene and San Angelo DWI lawyer, David M. White, can help you discover and utilize your options—ensuring that you are treated fairly by the court.
If you are arrested for DWI, you may be asking yourself the following questions:
- Will I go to jail?
- Will I lose my driver’s license?
- What kind of fines am I going to have to pay?
- Is this going to affect my current or future employment?
- How much will my insurance increase?
The answers to these questions depend on how you are charged, and on the outcome of your case. It is important to seek legal advice to get the best results, given your circumstances. If this is not your first DUI/DWI offense, don’t wait to contact an criminal defense attorney, because you stand to lose much more than a first-time offender.
What Happens After receiving a DWI?
If you are being charged with your first DWI, it is important that you do not plead guilty and accept the prosecution’s first deal. You could be facing the loss of your license and extensive licensing fines in the years to come. An attorney can help you plead down your first DWI charge or assist you in getting an occupational license so you can still get to work after your license has been suspended.
What to expect when arrested for DWI:
- You only have 15 days from your DWI arrest to keep your driver’s license from being suspended.
- You are NOT automatically guilty because you took a breath or blood test.
- If your license is suspended, we can get you an occupational driver’s license that will give you the right to drive.
- There is an art to defending DWI cases.
- If you are convicted of two or more DWI offenses, you face mandatory jail time. There is no time limit on when the second DWI may occur. Even if your first drunk driving conviction was when you were young and in college, you could still be facing felony charges and jail time if you repeat your mistake 30 years later.
DWI License Suspension
The first issue you will face after receiving a DWI is your Notice of Suspension. Local law enforcement usually leaves a copy of this notice for you at the jail. The original notice is then submitted to DPS. This is called an Administrative License Revocation (ALR). If you call us within 15 days of your arrest, we will file an ALR appeal for you at no additional charge (i.e. fight your license suspension).
The potential periods of suspension are as follows:
- Breath or Blood Test Refusal – 180 days
- Breath or Blood Test Failure – 90 days
- Longer suspension periods may apply if you have prior ALR contacts
Field Sobriety Tests
If you are pulled over in Abilene or San Angelo for a DUI, the officer is likely going to perform a field sobriety test to determine if you are under the influence of alcohol. The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) is made of 3 individual tests:
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) test - In this test, the officer will observe the eyes of the person in question as they slowly move a pen or small object back and forth to look for indicators in each eye that the person is impaired.
- Walk-and-turn test - In this test, the officer instructs the person to take nine steps, touching heel-to-toe in a straight line, and then return back. The officer is looking for indicators that the person is impaired such as not being able to keep their balance or not following the instructions properly.
- One-leg stand test - In this test, the officer instructs the person to stand with one foot off the ground and hold it for about 30 seconds or until told to put it down. The officer looks for signs of impairment such as swaying, hoping, or using their arms to balance.
How Can A DWI Lawyer In Abilene Help Me?
Our DWI attorneys at the Law Offices of David M. White will go above and beyond to ensure that you have all of the help, support, and guidance that you need following a DWI charge. Without an experienced attorney by your side to help you, you may be risking your rights, your future, and your reputation.
Here are some ways that a DWI lawyer can help you:
- Investigation: Your lawyer will conduct an in-depth investigation of your charges, and will check whether or not the evidence being used against you is legitimate or not.
- Evidence: Your attorney will collect all of the evidence that is required to help you win your case.
- Legal Advice: You will receive important legal advice regarding your specific case, and your attorney will make sure that you are equipped with all of the legal knowledge that you need to ensure that your rights are protected.
- Representation: If your case is taken to court, your lawyer will be there to represent you and fight for a favorable settlement on your behalf.
- Support: Your lawyer can also serve as a huge support system for you during this hard time, as he or she will have worked with many others facing a similar struggle to you.
If you or a loved one was recently charged with a DUI/DWI, it's essential that you receive the professional help that you need to ensure success. Don't wait - contact our Abilene and San Angelo DWI lawyer, David M. White, to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help you.
Contact An Experienced DWI Attorney in Abilene
Contact the Abilene and San Angelo DWI defense lawyer at the Law Offices of David M. White at (325) 221-4421, or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. Our office in Abilene is located convenient to I-20. We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend appointments are available.
- 3 Defenses Your DWI Attorney in Abilene, TX, Can Use
- You Don't Need a DWI Lawyer and other DWI Myths, Debunked
Contact our DWI lawyers in San Angelo, TX, and Abilene, TX today to schedule a free consultation.
Our firm offers free consultations. For prompt and professional legal service, contact us today.
We know the importance of your case and the impact it can have on your future. We are here to help.
Our dedicated staff is able to assist any Spanish-speaking clients who are in need of our services.
We are dedicated to obtaining superior results as well as providing top-notch customer service.
"They truly made the entire process so much less stressful."I could not be more happy with Mr. White and his office. They helped me immensely throughout the entire process of my DWI case. This was my first time ever dealing with the legal system and they definitely set the bar very high. I always had my questions answered and they truly made the entire process so much less stressful. I cannot thank them enough for everything.- Fernando
"They are friendly and easy to deal with."Mr. White and his staff do everything in their power to get you exactly what you want. They are friendly and easy to deal with. I will use his services again. Many Thanks- Former Client
"If I could I give them 10 stars, I would in a heartbeat."I strongly recommend. The Law Offices of David White to handle your case. They go the extra mile in your case. If I could I give them 10 stars, I would in a heartbeat. The communication and hard work is amazing. From the first phone call until the very end of your case. You feel very much like family, when David White is handling your case. Thank you David for your outstanding work and Thank you Rosita for assisting in my case and Thank you for all your hard work!!! Definitely recommed Law offices of David White!!! Above and beyond Experience!!!!!- Anthony
"Above and beyond anything I could have expected."David White and his team helped me resolve a DWI charge. It was a repeat DWI and the deal I received was far better than what was expected. We were able to negotiate several aspects, including retaining my drivers license and decreasing the amount of DPS surcharge fees by challenging the validity of my BAC (.16). The customer service I received, from beginning to end, was above and beyond anything I could have expected. During such a delicate time, I was consistently reassured by their honesty, astute knowledge, and attention to my well-being and my case. If you're unsure on who to trust, I strongly recommend this firm.- Former Client